Conda install -c pyviz holoviz fails

trying to install holoviz the first time following instructions on
https://holoviz.org/installation.html

The “conda install -c pyviz holoviz” step fails with
“ERROR conda.core.link:_execute(700): An error occurred while installing package ‘defaults::rise-5.6.1-py37_1’”

The platform is an ubuntu 18.04

Yes same problem! Halp!

I hit this on EC2 instances running AWS’ latest Ubuntu image: With both Anaconda and Miniconda. The Miniconda try was from a clean slate machine.

The install for Miniconda is currently Python 3.8 so after a few permutations of Miniconda installs and the environment creation command (python=3.7 or python=3.8) I found the suggestion to do conda install python=3.7 after installing 3.8… hope springs eternal; but this merely changed the error number from 698 to 700. I will include top and bottom portions of the diagnostics below.

Top (after the part quoted by @dsaroff):

LinkError: post-link script failed for package defaults::rise-5.6.1-py37_1
location of failed script: /home/ubuntu/miniconda3/envs/holoviz-tutorial/bin/.rise-post-link.sh
==> script messages <==
<None>
==> script output <==
stdout:
stderr: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/ubuntu/miniconda3/envs/holoviz-tutorial/bin/jupyter-nbextension", line 11, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())

bottom:

File "/home/ubuntu/miniconda3/envs/holoviz-tutorial/lib/python3.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 775, in resolve
    raise VersionConflict(dist, req).with_context(dependent_req)
pkg_resources.ContextualVersionConflict: (parso 0.7.0 (/home/ubuntu/miniconda3/envs/holoviz-tutorial/lib/python3.7/site-packages), Requirement.parse('parso<0.9.0,>=0.8.0'), {'jedi'})

return code: 1

()

FWIW, I also encountered this problem when installing under miniconda3 with conda --version
conda 4.9.2 with RHEL 7.

In the end the complaint seemed to be about a version check for parso, so the following sequence of commands seemed to work:

conda create -n holoviz python=3.7
conda activate holoviz
conda install parso=0.8.0 -c pyviz holoviz

I also had to do the following to complete the environment for my application:

conda install geopandas
conda install -c pyviz geoviews

I’m installing on Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation release 7.9 (Maipo) so ymmv.