Deploy bokeh App via Shiny-Server

Hi,
here: Compatibility beetween Holoviews with Panel and R-Shiny I asked about some Information about the Compatibility between bokeh with holoviews and R-Shiny. Later I reconized an oportunitiy (beta version) for deploying a bokeh App via Shiny Server (via R Studio Connect) .
https://docs.rstudio.com/connect/user/bokeh/
Does anyone has experiences with that kind of hack?

1 Like

Years late to the party on this one, but I wanted to post in case anyone else is in the same boat. As of writing, it appears that you can pretty much deploy a Panel app using rsconnect-python just like you would a Bokeh app

rsconnect deploy bokeh --server myserver --api_key my_key /panel_app

I have successfully done this with a Panel app that uses Holoviews and hvplot within the ReactTemplate and everything appears to work as intended. The one trick is to add BOKEH_RESOURCES with a value of cdn to the Vars tab of the deployed application.

I did have to troubleshoot some package incompatibilities before things ended up working, but I think that was probably more of a server-side issue than anything else.

I presume that rsconnect deploys using the “bokeh serve” command, so I’d be curious to hear from the developers here if/how this might affect Panel app performance and behavior. My app only tests a pretty limited set of functionalities, so I wouldn’t be surprised if certain Panel capabilities don’t work as intended within the rsconnect server configuration.

1 Like

Hi @mak4515

Its never too late to join the party :smile:

Some time back I was deploying Panel apps via a bokeh serve option on ContainDS. It works in some cases. But the panel server started via panel serve provides some extra functionality/ differences in functionality so sometimes it will break in my experience.

Should be easy to contribute a Panel deployment option though to the Shiny Server. If any one is interested you can see how Bokeh is implemented here rsconnect-python | Code search results for bokeh

1 Like

I’ve added a Feature Request to rsconnect-python. Please give it a +1 upvote if you would like Panel supported on the Shiny Server.

Add Panel deployment options · Issue #454 · rstudio/rsconnect-python (github.com)

1 Like