Hi Panel Community
Now that Panel 1.0 has arrived I would like to give awesome-panel.org a make over and make it even more useful.
I have almost no data or feedback on its use, so I would really like your thoughts on how to improve it. Please share your comment and ideas in posts below. Highly appreciated.
I would really like the site to be an interactive awesome list where the community can easily find awesome inspiration.
- It should be really easy to both find the live apps and the code of the apps.
- It should not only be about live apps and code. Blog posts, videos etc should also be in the list.
- It should release new examples often.
- It should help promote active users in the community.
- If it could be really easy to share these examples with a video gif on social media it would also help me and you promote Panel
- I would like it to be able to really easily deploy live examples that can be linked to when I help you in discourse and when I promote Panel on social media.
Some of the things that I’m not so satisfied with is
The site does not load as fast as I would like it to. Some can improved by code. But I really need more powerful compute to deploy to.
Currently i’m having a server on Azure with “Basic B3 with 4vCPU, 7Gb RAM, 10 GB Storage”. Its costing me 52 USD Per month now that I’m paying my self.
I’m thinking about alternatives.
- Anaconda Notebooks - could they see the benefit of me running on their infrastructure. They would get a lot of feedback I’m sure that could help improve their offering.
- Free hosting
- Hugging Face. Its easy to use and I get the gallery for my apps for free.
- Should I just convert the apps that can be converted to pyodide? The downside for users is the download size, download waiting time and that some types of applications cannot run on Pyodide.
- pyscript.com is not ready yet. The apps does not load as fast as panel apps with service workers, I cannot automate the deployment and its not easy to put Panel apps in a nice (Bootstrap, Material or Fast) template.
I would like to minimize the time I spend on deployment, ci/ cd etc.
I have automated deployment in place. But I’m running on such low end ci/ cd infrastructure and servers that it takes 30 mins from I merge into
main to the new site is up and running. It would help me a lot if it was in the 2-5 minutes time range I experience at work.
I don’t know if its easy for users to navigate awesome-panel, try out the apps, find the code and adapt the code to their use case. Would you rather like to have notebooks than
.py files. Would you like to be able to run that notebook quickly in Jupyterlite/ Panelite?
I spend the time on writing the Gallery functionality. I would really like to spend the time on writing apps that helps users. Not on promoting the galleries and the examples discoverable .
If I used for example PyScript.com or Hugging Face I would get gallery functionality and discovery out of the box.
My thought is that I would like the landing page of awesome-panel.org to be a big gallery page. No additional navigation needed.
I created Awesome Panel Sharing to make it possible to share Panel Apps very quickly. But so far its not really being used. My guess is that its a combination of the user experience and lack of promotion of the feature that leads to this.
But maybe our community does not have the same need for sharing examples as the Streamlit and Gradio communities?
Should I drop it again? It adds complexity and costs me money because I need to pay for enabling resources like a blog storage and cdn feature.