GeoViews selecting by GeoPandas column value + selection

I’m trying to create a dynamic view of a geopandas dataframe that contains several data columns and associated polygon geometries.

Out of the box with hvplot, I can achieve this with:

my_geopandas_dataframe.hvplot.polygons(groupby="date")

But I’m trying to combine this view in a layout with some other hv elements, using a dynamic map and some panel widgets:

polys = gv.Polygons(my_geopandas_dataframe, vdims=["date"])

date_widget = pn.widgets.Select(name='Date', options=dates)

@pn.depends(date=date_widget
my_plot(date=date): 

# How can I show polygons from only rows with the date value?
        selected_polys = polys.select(...)

...other elements using date...

return gvts.CartoDark() * other elements * selected_polys 

pn.Row(date_widget, hv.DynamicMap(my_plot))

1. How can I show polygons from only rows with the date value?

EDIT: One way I’ve done this is by creating a gv.Dataset using the geopandas dataframe and then slicing that using my date value:

dataset = gv.Dataset(my_geopandas_dataframe, kdims=['Longitude', 'Latitude'], vdims=['date'])

Then in the plotting function:

my_plot(date=date):
      selected_polys = dataset.select(date=[date]).data.hvplot.polygons(geo=True)

But this seems like slicing the data directly and creating a new gv.Polygons each time, not slicing the data inside of the gv.Polygons element. This would be the same as just slicing the GeoPandas dataframe directly here and creating a new gv.Polygons element:
gv.Polygons(my_geopandas_dataframe[...etc])

… wondering if there is a better way to do this?

Note: The geo=True on the hvplot is necessary for the kdims to be ['Longitude', 'Latitude'] instead of the default ['x','y'] so that the plot plays nice with the WMTS (gvts.CartoDark()) elements in the layout.

2. I would also like to be able to select polygons with Bokeh’s tap tool.
Do I also need to add a Selection1D stream to the DynamicMap, or is there a way to get the selected row directly from the DynamicMap’s Tap selection tool?