How to see hover for new elements with dynamic map

Dynamic maps do not appear to respect the hover options for more than the original number of elements. I refer to subsequent (all but the first) invocations of the function which generates the map. Below I have a minimal example where I bind a text input to the argument of the function which generates the map. The example simply plots points at (x,x) where x = offset value, for a list of offsets passed in as a comma separated string.

Start with text = ‘0,1’ and observe points at (0,0) and (1,1) are plotted with working hover. Now try text = ‘0,1,0.5’ and observe an additional point at (0.5,0.5). That third point does not display anything when I hover over it. Why?

Even more strange, try text = ‘0,0.5,1’. Now it works (with the correct information!) for points (0,0) and (0.5,0.5), but I don’t get anything when I hover over point (1,1). It appears that only the first two elements passed to the hv.Overlay respect the hover option, irrespective of when they are added.

Is this a bug? Am I doing it wrong?

import holoviews as hv
from holoviews import opts
import panel as pn
import pandas as pd
import numpy as np
hv.extension('bokeh')

def get_overlay(offsets: str) -> hv.Overlay:
    """Plots a point at (offset,offset) for each offset.
       offsets are input as a comma separated list (a string)"""
    try:
        offsets: list[float] = [float(x.strip()) for x in offsets.split(',')]
    except:
        offsets: list[float] = [0]

points_list: list[hv.Points] = []
    for offset in offsets:
        data: np.ndarray = np.array([[0,0,0]]) + offset
        data: pd.DataFrame = pd.DataFrame(data,columns=['x','y','z'])
        points: hv.Points = hv.Points(data, kdims=['x','y'], vdims=['z'])
        points_list.append(points)

# return the overlay, crucially with hover specified
    return hv.Overlay(points_list).opts(opts.Points(tools=['hover']))

text_input = pn.widgets.TextInput(name='Enter a comma separated list of offset values', 
                                  placeholder='0,1',
                                  value='0,1')

dynamic_map: hv.DynamicMap = hv.DynamicMap(pn.bind(get_overlay, offsets=text_input))

app = pn.Row(text_input, dynamic_map).servable()

app

Package versions (anaconda environment, Windows, Jupyter, VSCode)
holoviews 1.17.1
bokeh 3.2.2
panel 1.2.3
jupyter_bokeh 3.0.7
jupyterlab_widgets 3.0.9

I seem to have found a workaround for this. On the first invocation of the map I put placeholder elements in the overlay. Unfortunately, those placeholders will appear on the plot, but (in my case) that’s not a show- stopper. Then, on subsequent invocations, when I add an element with data I actually want to see (via the widget), the hover functionality works, because the structure of the overlay has not changed.