How to use logz, cnorm, etc. to get a log scale colorbar?

Hello,

I’m not having any success getting a log scale on my colorbar for a hvplot quadmesh. Here’s a minimal example:

import hvplot.xarray
import xarray as xr

ds = xr.tutorial.open_dataset("rasm").load()
p = ds.Tair.isel(time=0).hvplot.quadmesh(logz=False)  # plots as expected
p_log = ds.Tair.isel(time=0).hvplot.quadmesh(logz=True)  # shows blank plot with unlabeled colorbar
hvplot.show(p + p_log)

I’m sure I’m misunderstanding something simple, but I’ve read all the docs and hv.help() items I can find. I’ve tried all manner of setting cnorm, clim, and logz in the arguments to hvplot.quadmesh() and as opts via hvplot.quadmesh(...).opts(logz=True, etc.). Any help appreciated!

You are hitting two issues here:

1. Your data are negative, which does not work well with the logarithm.
  2. When you combine the two plots the axes are shared, which is ok for the x and y axis, but not for the color axis.

Here is an working example.

import hvplot.xarray
import xarray as xr

ds = xr.tutorial.open_dataset("rasm").load()
p = ds.Tair.isel(time=0).hvplot.quadmesh(logz=False) 
p_log = (ds.Tair.isel(time=0)).hvplot.quadmesh(logz=True, clim=(0.0001, 30)).redim(Tair="TairLog")
p + p_log

oh, snap… thanks so much @Hoxbro. The Tair dataset was just a readily-available standin dataset for my reproducible example; my real data have a lower bound of 0.0, also problematic for logarithms. Setting my clim lower limit to 0.001 solved it for me. I’d been pulling my hair out on the plotting arguments for 90 minutes without suspecting high school math to be causing the problem :frowning:

Thanks a bunch.

2 Likes