hvPlot explorer not updating

anyone start having this issue ? i noticed the background went white ; and when I click different variables nothing changes…

1 Like

Hi @zartarr88

Could you share a minimum, reproducible example? Without it, it is almost impossible to understand what is going on and try to help.

import pandas as pd

df = pd.read_excel("institutional_investors_Nov-22_clean.xlsx")

import hvplot.pandas  # noqa
import panel as pn
pn.extension()

explorer = hvplot.explorer(df)

explorer

The thing is it popped up today. Now I’m not sure if this is a vscode thing or what but as per example its simple. The workbook was quite larger before; so I kept breaking it down. Now as per my code its literally watered down where its just reading an excel workbook and wanting to explore…

So that made me think it has something to do with my environment.
I do know in my infinite wisdom I did today do a “conda update --all” … so I’ve done some revision history backwards… I’ve installed new environments… I am genuinely just confused there might be something mucking with it somewhere and I just don’t understand how to debug it.

vscode: Version: 1.73.1
jupyter 1.0.0 py39h2804cbe_7 conda-forge
jupyter_client 7.4.5 pyhd8ed1ab_0 conda-forge
jupyter_console 6.4.4 pyhd8ed1ab_0 conda-forge
jupyter_core 5.0.0 py39h2804cbe_0 conda-forge
jupyterlab-widgets 1.0.2 pypi_0 pypi
jupyterlab_pygments 0.2.2 pyhd8ed1ab_0 conda-forge
jupyterlab_widgets 3.0.3 pyhd8ed1ab_0 conda-forge
notebook 6.4.12 pyha770c72_0 conda-forge
hvplot 0.8.1 py_0 pyviz

Try to move pn.extension() above import hvplot.pandas I’m pretty sure this is because of this issue.

1 Like

omg you are right… wow … at one point very briefly it worked and you are right… hey Hoxbro Thank you again. Could you plz tell me like what your process was to figure something like that out ? Like I’m assuming you just looked in the debug log ?

just trying to figure out how do I troubleshoot this type of stuff or provide better info for posts like this in the future.

Also conceptually could you explain to me when output_notebook() is used ? because I was also playing around with that argument and placing it in the code thinking it might be the cause… only to realize I’m just typing random stuff without understanding

I found out because I could see you were working in vs code and knew about the problem beforehand. I don’t think there is an easy way to diagnose this problem without prior knowledge.

Though I will look into the issue, so other people don’t stumble upon the bug as you did :slight_smile:

This should be fixed in the next Panel release with Improve detection of comms in vscode and colab by Hoxbro · Pull Request #4115 · holoviz/panel · GitHub

1 Like