Panel Dashboard didn't show up on browser

Hi,

I am new to Panel. I saw this video to talk about how to create the Dashboard with Panel:
How to Create a Beautiful Python Visualization Dashboard With Panel/Hvplot - YouTube. I really like Panel Dashboard features.
I was trying to follow this video to create same with Jupyter lab. I can run each step on JupyterLab without problem. But when I deploy the dashboard with:

S C:\Users\JeffZhang\path\to\Panel_lab\python-dashboard-panel-main> panel serve .\Interactive_dashboard.ipynb
2022-12-04 15:44:07,320 Starting Bokeh server version 2.4.3 (running on Tornado 6.2)
2022-12-04 15:44:07,321 User authentication hooks NOT provided (default user enabled)
2022-12-04 15:44:07,324 Bokeh app running at: http://localhost:5006/Interactive_dashboard
2022-12-04 15:44:07,324 Starting Bokeh server with process id: 23892

The terminal seems frozen and no new page show up on Chrome browser. I do see windows firewall shown a message and I clicked the Enable button to allow Python to run. But nothing happened.
I am using Python 3.9.12 and JupyterLab v3.5.0. Panel v0.14.1 on Windows 10.

I notice that the terminal message “User authentication hooks NOT provided (default user enabled)”. Is there some Windows security settings I need to do? or something else?

Thanks,
Jeff

1 Like

What happens if you manually paste http://localhost:5006/Interactive_dashboard into the browser url input?

Hi riziles,

Thanks for reply.
I tried your trick. The page doesn’t load. The message says:
“This site can’t be reached
localhost refused to connect”

Any ideas?

Hi riziles,

please forget my previous reply.
I did not run panel serve in command line. Once I run it, it loaded on browser.
But, does this mean I have to use this trick every time?
Thanks,
Jeff

There are LOTS of ways to launch Panel. An easy one is just to use the .show() method on a Panel object. That will work from a Jupyter notebook or a .py script, and it should automatically launch a browser window.

Running pn.serve() in a script or a notebook works, too. FYI, I use VS Code, and if I run a script with pn.serve it automatically launches a browser window. VS Code is a good tool to learn if you haven’t already.

Adding .servable() to a panel object works, but you have to run the script or notebook with panel serve from the command line.

1 Like