Panel docs website strangeness

The bokeh plot on this page initially loaded with a light theme, but after pressing shift-refresh, some of the time the plot then loads with a dark theme. This occurred in both Chrome and Microsoft Edge.

My system and browsers are configured to use dark themes, so I guess it is possible there is some sort of magical automatic theme detection happening.

Here is a screenshot of the plot when it rendered with a light theme:

And here is a screenshot of the plot when it rendered with a dark theme:

I would guess this might be a bokeh issue of some kind.

This seems somewhat superficial, but I wonder if there is a bug that should be reported somewhere. I also wonder if there is some sort of automagic theme detection going on here, and if so, if that can be applied to panel and/or bokeh objects more generally, particularly for jupyterlab notebooks in my case.

Hi @brl0

My thoughts are

1. I have something experienced getting a dark theme when I move from one page that has been using a dark theme to another page which is not using a dark theme. For example when navigating awesome-panel.org.

2. I don’t think it has anything to do with the browser theme being dark as the theme/ style of a bokeh plot would not be something it knows about (I belive).

3. I can reproduce the problem. The page also loads with a “dark theme” for me when I navigate there the first time.

Problem reproduced by navigating to page

Problem solved by hard refresh

Problem recreated by refreshing the page

1. I think this is worthy of being reported as a bug on [github]((https://github.com/holoviz/panel/issues). Would you do that @brl0? Thanks.

The behaviour is indeed strange. In the video below I update the page and you can see it’s normally dark themed but at 00:24 I get a light themed version back.

Futher investigation shows that the app above is an embedded iframe from Panel Application (anaconda.com)

That link shows the same behaviour. And it’s both the layout and the theme that can change.

My guess it the problem is that it is a part of a larger site where some of the pages are dark themed and that dark theme is applied across users and session (clearly a bug).

I have reported this as a bug Distribution Tabs Demo affected by other pages in panel-gallery · Issue #2167 · holoviz/panel (github.com)

Thanks @Marc for taking a look at this and reporting!

1 Like