Polar/Radial Raster Plots

My goal is ultimately to get a good visual representation of helicopter rotor data (radius vs psi) as a disk plot. So far every option I’ve found has been lacking. I’ll describe what I’ve tried and the shortcomings I’ve found. I’d love any suggestions on other approaches I could try, and also on where the best place to file feature requests would be (e.g. with HoloViews, Bokeh, Matplotlib, etc.).

Radial HeatMap Gaps
Looking through the HoloViews Gallery the only thing I could find that was close to the type of plot I needed was the Radial HeatMap.

I found that the HeatMap tends to have a gap between elements that causes aliasing effects when the data resolution is large. For rectangular HeatMaps there is a dilate option that does a pretty good job of removing the gaps in my case, but the dilate option does not work with the radial=True option.

The aliasing is perhaps easier to see in this image:

When I try to add dilate=True and radial=True I get this error:

unexpected attribute ‘dilate’ to AnnularWedge, possible attributes are direction, end_angle, end_angle_units, fill_alpha, fill_color, hatch_alpha, hatch_color, hatch_extra, hatch_pattern, hatch_scale, hatch_weight, inner_radius, inner_radius_units, js_event_callbacks, js_property_callbacks, line_alpha, line_cap, line_color, line_dash, line_dash_offset, line_join, line_width, name, outer_radius, outer_radius_units, start_angle, start_angle_units, subscribed_events, syncable, tags, x or y

It’s unclear if AnnularWedge is a HoloViews object or a Bokeh object, so I’m not sure where to request that the dilate option be added.

In any case as mentioned in this Bokeh issue, perhaps a HeatMap is not the best option for my “image-scale” data anyway. I would love to be able to use an hv.Image with radial=True but I can’t tell if this is just a HoloViews API request, or if Bokeh would even support it.

Radial HeatMap Labels
The other obstacle with the Radial HeatMap is that to get the orientation in standard form for a rotorcraft plot I needed to set invert_xaxis=True and start_angle=math.pi

hv.HeatMap(data[var].sel(**opts), kdims=['psi[deg]', 'r_R']).opts(
    invert_xaxis=True, start_angle=math.pi,
    radial=True, width=900, height=900, cmap='jet', title=f'Run {run}', colorbar=True, tools=['hover']
)

This makes the 0 and 180 degree labels move to the inside of the plot for some reason:

I’d also like to make all of the x-tick labels be oriented upwards.

Filled Contour Plots
I haven’t been able to find support for any filled contour plots in HoloViews. It seems like Matplotlib and Plotly both support them, but I don’t think Bokeh does. Matplotlib seems to be the only library that “supports” polar coordinates for a filled contour plot, however, while it will generate a polar plot, the contouring algorithm seems to not support polar coordinates well. (I realize this is an issue with Matplotlib or perhaps ContourPy, but I’ll list it here for reference/completeness).

In both these examples the rectangular coordinates represent the data well, but the data are very obscured when plotted in polar coordinates:

fig = plt.figure(figsize=(20, 10))
gs = fig.add_gridspec(1, 2)
ax1 = fig.add_subplot(gs[0, 0])
ax2 = fig.add_subplot(gs[0, 1], projection='polar')
ax2.set_ylim(0, dX['r_R'][-1])
levels = 128
orig_map=cm.get_cmap('RdYlBu')
BuYlRd = orig_map.reversed()
plt.grid(False)
ax2.subplot_kw=dict(projection='polar')
f1 = ax1.contourf(dX['psi[deg]'], dX['r_R'], dX.values.T, levels, cmap='jet', origin='image')
f2 = ax2.contourf(dX['psi[deg]'], dX['r_R'], dX.values.T, levels, cmap='jet', origin='image')
c1 = fig.colorbar(f1)   
c1.set_label(str(var)) 

plt.grid(False)
ax1.pcolormesh(plot_data['psi[deg]'], plot_data['r_R'], plot_data.values.T, cmap="jet", shading='auto')
ax2.pcolormesh(plot_data['psi[deg]'], plot_data['r_R'], plot_data.values.T, cmap="jet", shading='auto')
plt.show()

1 Like

I just realized that the data passed into the Matplotlib plots need to be passed in radians. When I make that conversion then the plots come out just as I would expect:

ax2.set_ylim(0, dX['r_R'][-1])
levels = 128
orig_map=cm.get_cmap('RdYlBu')
BuYlRd = orig_map.reversed()
plt.grid(False)
ax2.subplot_kw=dict(projection='polar')
f1 = ax1.contourf(dX['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi, dX['r_R'], dX.values.T, levels, cmap='jet', origin='image')
f2 = ax2.contourf(dX['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi, dX['r_R'], dX.values.T, levels, cmap='jet', origin='image')
c1 = fig.colorbar(f1)   
c1.set_label(str(variable.values)) 

plt.grid(False)
ax1.pcolormesh(plot_data['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi, plot_data['r_R'], plot_data.values.T, cmap="jet", shading='auto')
ax2.pcolormesh(plot_data['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi, plot_data['r_R'], plot_data.values.T, cmap="jet", shading='auto')
plt.show()

1 Like

I have a couple of comments on the subject of contour plots.

1. Bokeh does support contour plots: Contour plots — Bokeh 3.2.2 Documentation

2. I would discourage use of large number of contour levels such as the 128 in your examples. The edges of rendered polygons are antialiased, so they spread slightly into adjacent pixels. If you have polygons that are less than a pixel wide you will be combining at least 3 partially-transparent colors and the results might look acceptable but they are not ideal. Another way of thinking about this is to consider if you have so many levels to contour that each pixel in the output image is visited by at least on contour level, then you may as well use pcolor plot instead as that will save you quite a lot of unnecessary calculation.

1 Like

Thanks @ianthomas23 for pointing out the new Bokeh contour plots.

For the record here’s my attempt at creating the same plots with Bokeh:

from bokeh.plotting import figure, show
from bokeh.layouts import row
import matplotlib

jet = matplotlib.colormaps['jet']
Jet128 = jet(np.linspace(0, 1, 128))

angle = plot_data['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi
radius = plot_data['r_R']
x = radius*np.cos(angle)
y = radius*np.sin(angle)
z = plot_data.values.T

p = figure(width=800, height=800, x_range=(0, 2*math.pi), y_range=(0.1, 1))
q = figure(width=900, height=800, x_range=(-1, 1), y_range=(-1, 1), x_axis_type=None, y_axis_type=None)

levels = np.linspace(plot_data.values.min(), plot_data.values.max(), 129)
contour_renderer = p.contour(plot_data['psi[deg]']/180*math.pi, plot_data['r_R'], plot_data.values.T, levels, fill_color=Jet128, line_color=None)
contour_renderer = q.contour(x, y, z, levels, fill_color=Jet128, line_color=None)

colorbar = contour_renderer.construct_color_bar()
q.add_layout(colorbar, "right")

show(row(p, q))

I’ll note that the “polar” plot isn’t really a polar plot. It doesn’t seem like Bokeh supports polar coordinates. The polar data is just transformed into cartesian coordinates and plotted on a cartesian grid. There is also a gap in the contouring between last angle (<2*pi) and the first angle (0).