When using the datepicker on a mobile (android) device the native OS interface is displayed instead of the web component and a `str` is returned instead of a `datetime`

I’ve built a web app using Panel and PyScript. It uses the DatePicker widget

This operates as expected on desktop devices (tested using Pop_OS! and Chrome), but when opened on a Pixel5 using Android the native Date Time selector is used.

When the picker is used, the datepicker.start and datepicker.end properties don’t seem to be displayed, e.g. you can pick a date outside these values.

Additionally when the date is selected, it seems to return a str value rather than the datetime value documented:

2023-02-15 15:36:10,195 ERROR: panel.reactive - Callback failed for object named "" changing property {'value': ''} 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/panel/reactive.py", line 318, in _process_events
    self.param.update(**self_events)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/parameterized.py", line 1895, in update
    setattr(self_or_cls, k, v)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/parameterized.py", line 367, in _f
    instance_param.__set__(obj, val)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/parameterized.py", line 369, in _f
    return f(self, obj, val)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/__init__.py", line 625, in __set__
    super(Dynamic,self).__set__(obj,val)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/parameterized.py", line 369, in _f
    return f(self, obj, val)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/parameterized.py", line 1201, in __set__
    self._validate(val)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/__init__.py", line 909, in _validate
    self._validate_value(val, self.allow_None)
  File "/lib/python3.10/site-packages/param/__init__.py", line 1930, in _validate_value
    raise ValueError(
ValueError: Date parameter 'value' only takes datetime and date types, not type <class 'str'>.

Which then when passed to the dependant function throws an error.

How should I be using this widget in this context?

An operational version is live here

The code generating this is effectively as simple as:

default_data_url = (
    "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/DaveParr/engi-alpha-data/develop/GasHH2022.csv"
)

default_data = cf.read_file(open_url(default_data_url))

date_picker = pn.widgets.DatetimePicker()

date_picker.start = pd.to_datetime(default_data.index.min().to_timestamp())
date_picker.value = pd.to_datetime(default_data.index.max().to_timestamp())
date_picker.end = pd.to_datetime(default_data.index.max().to_timestamp())

I can make a more contained example if anyone would find that helpful :slight_smile:

So it seems the technical issue of 'returning a str’ fixed itself. I’m guessing I did a bad deploy somewhere down the line and introduced, then removed the bug. Or there was some cached state that was throwing apart my comparison.

However, the native date picker on Android still isn’t respecting the date_picker.start = pd.to_datetime(default_data.index.min().to_timestamp()) set constraint, so any suggestions there would be helpful.