Welcome! Please Introduce yourself :)

Welcome to the community!

As for the reaction kinetics app, have you thought of following what is shown in the right plot by adding e.g. a pointer on the curve of the left plot to show where we’re at?
If you wish, you can continue this conversation by opening a showcase topic as suggested by jbednar :slight_smile:

Thank you @jbednar and @hyamanieu . Have been using Bokeh and have posted these as Bokeh Showcase examples on their Discourse website. Not sure if I can double dip, but happy to share it.

Will open a new topic for future projects.

1 Like

You can certainly double dip! Most of the examples on the Bokeh site won’t be HoloViz examples, and so for people looking for a HoloViz example, here is probably where they will find it!

Dear brothers and sisters,
I’ve just known this community from Marc. I am a mechanical worker, have very low experience in programing but I am very like concept of Panel. So I try to build my web app to leverage my products with Panel.
As new user, there are several things to learn. Please do not blame me if I have fool looking questions :).
Thanks,
Pisut L.

9 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Ian Thomas, I am British and live in Caerphilly (famous for its castle and cheese) just north of Cardiff in the UK. Today is my first day working at Anaconda as part of the HoloViz team.

My background is physics and I have a PhD in ocean modelling. But I have mostly been a software developer for more years than I can count on my fingers and toes. I have worked in lots of different areas, so I know a small amount about lots of different things but not very much about anything specific!

I enjoy contributing to Open Source, mostly visualisation or more precisely mathematical algorithms that are used in visualisation. For Matplotlib I wrote most of the triangular grid work and the current quad grid contouring algorithm, and more recently I have become a core dev of Bokeh, mostly working on the WebGL renderer.

Through Bokeh I have been lucky enough to work with Jim Bednar and Philipp Rudiger on some improvements to Datashader, which is what brings me to Anaconda. Mostly my interests and skills are at the bottom of the HoloViz stack, i.e. Bokeh and Datashader, but I am looking forward to finding out more about HoloViews, Panel and hvPlot too.

Ian

8 Likes

Welcome, Ian! The bottom of the stack is definitely in need of some love!

Hello, I am Adrian, and I work as a Data Scientist at a small research lab. I typically work with clients who want to introduce ML into their manufacturing processes.

Holoviews is becoming my go-to visualization tool for EDA, communicating/reporting results to clients, and dashboards.
I have previously tried altair and plotly, but I think holoviews is the sweet spot between aesthetics, “declarativity” and “matplotlibness”.

6 Likes

Hello!!!

My name is Ivan, from Italy. I’m unemployed at the moment :new_moon_with_face:. I spend much of my time learning new geo-python related stuff, trekking, growing vegetables (in summer) and preparing pizza :pizza:, which I love so much!!!

I have a master’s degree in Geology and one in GIS. For 3 years, I’ve worked as a GIS tech in the utilities industry in the beautiful city of Siena (Italy, Tuscany). I loved this city so much, its history, the food and the amazing Tuscany landscapes :cat:.

During my job, I’ve mainly used Python and SQL to process and analyze spatial/non-spatial data togheter with QGIS.
Now, I’ve discovered Panel and… it’s powerfull!!! :rocket:

6 Likes

Welcome Ivan!

As you’re a geologist who studied spatial data & an SQL user, how much are MULTIPOINT SQL types and the other spatial types used in the field?
I find it hard to use when encountering it and it always end up of doing a lot of translation work in python…

2 Likes

Hi hyamanieu!
MULTI-type geometries are not that easy to manipulate. I haven’t encountered many MULTIPOINT types in my past job, only when I dealt with stratigraphic or postal data. Instead, I encountered a lot of data with MultiPolygon types, which is very common for data like administrative regions (regions with enclaves, islands etc), geology, land use, water bodies etc… Other geometric types I’ve encountered are LineStrings like road networks, utility networks (gas), river networks, etc…
For MULTI types I always used the ST_Dump in conjunction with ST_Collect and other ST operators. But most of the time, like you, I used Python (shapely and geopandas).

2 Likes

Hi @aberges-grd ! I’m very interested in people using our tools for data science and ML for manufacturing! Drop me a line at jbednar at anaconda dot com if you’d like to chat about what you’re up to and I can tell you about some things we are working on.

1 Like

Hi!

My name is Miguelangel, I’m a former chemist who due to immigration had to change my career. I’m reconnecting with my STEM side with data science, at the time of the introduction, doing a Master’s.

I love Machine Learning and Data Mining and I discovered the Holoviz suite thanks to YouTube (thanks Thu Vu data analytics). Currently, I do everything with Python but I’m very curious about Julia.

Thank you for the tools and the community.

3 Likes

Hello Holovizians! My name is Rich Signell and I’m a research oceanographer with the USGS. I view holoviz as the killer viz suite for working with large weather and ocean model output. I live in the woods by a marsh on Cape Cod in Massachusetts, USA and enjoy bird watching and foraging.

Oh, and my daughter worked several years on the Holoviz team (which was kind of strange and cool at the same time)!

6 Likes

Welcome Rich! I remember your name from ~10 years ago when we were talking on github about some of the triangular grid functionality in Matplotlib, which was one of my first ever contributions. Small world!

1 Like

And I remember you too Ian! Small world indeed! (And holoviz tri viz could still use some work, could take advantage of UGRID conventions)

2 Likes

@rsignell I’ve created a holoviews issue to look into UGRID conventions (Investigate UGRID conventions for tri meshes · Issue #5528 · holoviz/holoviews · GitHub). Feel free to add anything specific that you’d like to see to that issue.

1 Like

Hello everyone, my name is Yordan Radev and I am a fresh out of school Data Scientist for the Environment and Climate Change Canada where I have build MSC - AniMet, VFSP - WAS Canada for WMO/WHO on behalf of Canada and am currently making a big geospatial data platform using Panel and friends. I am in love with the approach, expertise and people here. I used to play American Footbal and finished McGill University in Physics and Computer Science. Don’t know what else I am supposed to say but hopefully we can all work together and make HoloViz THE Python platform.

9 Likes

Hi everyone!

I am Pablo Benavides, I am from Granada, but I live in Barcelona, (both Spain) and I work as a Transport Modeler. I have built a couple of dashboards to show private and public transport insights but now I am facing the challenge of building one for my team to use! ( make it fast, make it reliable, make it pretty…!)
I play basketball, I have a dog and I love Python, this year I helped organize #PyConES and next year I will too.
Thanks for having me and hello everyone!

7 Likes

Hello everyone! My name is Nick and I am a software engineer at a fintech company. I have an M.S. in Mathematical Sciences, and have spent most of my career in the modeling and simulation space working in various corners of the US Defense sector. I teach part-time at Rutgers University, largely focused on teaching scientific computing with C++ and data visualization with Python. I enjoy all things in STEM, even the stuff that goes far above and beyond my head!

Throughout the past few years I have leaned heavily into data visualization, and for both my career and for teaching Panel has been an absolute game-changer. I now incorporate dashboards into all of my work and course material, and for my new job was hired explicitly for dashboard development. I am really excited to start getting more involved and contributing back in some way to the HoloViz stack, as it has totally transformed the trajectory of my career.

6 Likes

Hello Everyone!

My name is Sorin, I live in Finland and I came across panel while working on a AI Research project a bit after last summer.
I wanted to create a dashboard, using Python, which would showcase to the users various metrics, plots and info. Funny thing is that at that time the feature which attracted me the most was the integration with ECharts. Unfortunately for me, that particular project doesn’t have the dashboard in place (maybe one day will) however I wanted to keep using panel.
My background is in Software Engineering for ~20 years, working in different roles, ranging from Web Development, Quality Assurance, Backend Development, DevOps and last, but definitely most important for me, roles around Data.
I admit that I am not good at panel, therefore sometimes I will ask noob questions. However, I hope that my noob approach towards panel may help other people who are in a similar situation, regarding learning panel.
Beside panel, I like the community very much, with people who are able and willing to help when possible.

Thank you for the wonderful community!

6 Likes